19.9.07

JOEY HALL - ENGLISH VERSION

Joey Hall
PRESIDENT OF THE EAST SURF KAYAK ASSOCIATION (USA)
Name: Joey "jHo" Hall
Age: 29
Nationality: USA East
Occupation: Ninja
Competition records: 2006 ESKA Circuit Champion, IC and K-1, 2nd place HP. 2006 US Nationals 3rd IC. US East Surf Kayak Team 1st Boat, IC
Wbsite:
http://www.deadmanproductions.com/
Sponsors: Riot Kayaks, H2O Audio, Smith Optics, Peak UK, Aquabound, Shred Ready, Fortress



Hi Joey. How did you start surfkayaking?
I've actually been surf kayaking since right around the time I learned to kayak. My family would go to the beach for summer vacation and I'd always take my old Perception Dancer with me, that was around 93-95. I finally got serious about surf kayaking in the late 90s.


You're actually the ESKA President. Describe us in a short way what are your activities and team events that you have on your agenda?
The Eastern Surf Kayaking Association governs surf kayaking events on the east coast of the United States. We started the ESKA in 2002 because there was little to no organization on our coast. We've worked hard to keep the competition scene going on the east coast, but we have a lot more we want to do, it is hard because we rely solely on volunteer work. We were proud to host the US Nationals in 2006. We hope to have another great circuit of events in 2007 and 2008. We've focused a lot on making our judging more consistant, and we're lucky to have a panel of experienced surf judges that are getting really good at judging surf kayaking. The main thing we hope to do is promote the sport and encourage people to have fun. We encourage beginners and intermediates to come out to ESKA events and participate or at least hang out and meet the ESKA members, everyone is really welcoming and we love to see new people get into the sport. You can find out more about the ESKA at www.eskasurf.com

And to Mundaka at the Worlds... how many of you will be there to participate? We will have a nearly full team competitng in Mundaka this fall, we are really excited.
In the last Worlds (Costa Rica), your Team reached the 3rd place. Did you enjoy the event? I really enjoyed the Costa Rica Worlds. I had such a good time with folks like Stuart McGlinchy and the Jersey team, getting to know those folks was great. As a team the US East was really excited to do so well. We were in the lead for a good portion of the event, and we wound up tied for 2nd with Ireland. It came down to how many 2nd place finishes each team had to break the tie....we barely got bumped to 3rd, we were really proud. We hear people all the time tell us how bad our surf is on the east coast, but I love it, we have a lot of gnarly steep shorebreak and hurricane swell, it's not always easy, but I think if you can surf the East coast, you can surf anywhere!

And you, personally, were ranked last year in the 2nd place Men's HP (USA East). How are things going this year?
Haha, yea I was actually in first in HP last season until the very last event, my good friend Anthony Bell beat me out in the last round and bumped me to second overall...it was close just like it should be! This year I had a shoulder injury that I was rehabbing all winter, I didn't paddle much at all, and I wound up having over 8 weeks of physical therapy. A week after the doctor cleared me, I competed in our first event of the season. I'd just intended to surf the first round and drop out, but turns out I made finals in HP and IC, I was stoked, I think I'm 4th on the Circuit in HP right now. Last season was my best comp season ever, so I'm sort of bummed that I've had these injuries, but I'm working my way back It took me many years of being eliminated in the first round to get where I am today, and I've got a long way to go, I'm just thankful to still be learning.

Wich class do you enjoy the most to surf?
That is a difficult question, but I'd have to say my favorite class to surf is the IC class when the conditions are right. I love throwing big moves off the closeout in my Cyclone when the surf is dumping right on the beach, gets the adrenaline pumping!

In 2006, at ESKA circuit, you won IC class and K1. Besides IC and HP (Open) what class is K1?
(in Europe K1 is mainly for rivers)
K1 is a unique class to our circuit. It is limited to only plastic production whitewater boats. It is a mostly trick based class, where competitors link up river-style moves in the surf. You get extra points for doing surfing maneuvers while you link up tricks. It is a really fun class where you can get creative, I've heard it is really exciting to watch too. I love it because I really like paddling whitewater too, you can go out and just have fun, try new moves, etc. We had a lot of fun at the US Nationals last year in the K-1 class. The objective is to create a class that the hard-core river boaters can come out and compete in and still have fun.

What other sports do you practice?
Lets see, I used to play disc golf but I hurt my shoulder doing it, I love soccer but I don't play much anymore. I like skateboarding, in-line skating, and a little BMX. I just started playing 4 Square.

And the kayaks... what are your favourites to surf?
I paddle for Riot Kayaks, and I absolutely love paddling my Flair 57 in the surf to do tricks, such a fun boat, it really is like a very small HP boat, and it is great on the river too. As for surf boats, my old orange Cyclone "Patchy" is probably my favorite kayak of all time, we've been through a lot together.

What was the biggest scare that you've had in the sea?
When we went to the Ireland Worlds we arrived at the airport, drove 3 hours to the west coast, and immediately got in at Easky to practice. I was in a boat I'd never paddled before, and the surf was really big with a nasty thumping break zone. I was dead tired from being up 24 hours, so it wasn't the brightest idea for me to be out there. I paddled out a little ways and all of the sudden someone was heading straight for me, surfing towards me. I was forced into the break zone, next thing I know a 6 foot wall of foam is hitting me, and I got absolutely chundered, even broke a fin somehow. I paddled in and got out of the water, I'd not even surfed a wave yet! The practice sessions in Ireland were definitely the most scared I've been in the surf, waves with 10 people on them and foam piles with 10 more people getting chundered in them...all heading towards you at once....very dangerous.

Do you some surfkayaker in special you admire most for his skills and technique?
My hero in surf kayaking is Dave "the Wave" Johnston. I've learned more by watching him than from any other source. I respect the way he mixes smooth surfing and big moves. My all time favorite move is the Karate-Chop in the Cyclone, and he is the person who put that on the map. I like seeing him throw that old orange Cyclone of his around. He has a unique style, you can always pick him out on the water. At the US Nationals in 2006 I got to surf in the IC finals with he and my two friends Spencer Cooke and Anthony Bell, that was one of the most fun heats I've ever been in. I imagine Dave is a little weirded out that I look up to him so much....but I can't help it. I won't say I bought an orange Cyclone to be more like him...but my Cyclone is orange ;) I also learned a lot by being coached by well known east coast veteran Bruce Watkins, he taught me a lot, especially about having confidence in the surf. Other surf kayakers I really admire are Demany Smith, Spencer Cooke, James Hawker, Vince Shay, Dessie McGlinchy, Darren Basson....the list goes on, I do NOT, however, admire Yellowboy nor Drew Haynes

Your favourite surfing spots…
The most fun I've ever had surf kayaking was at "The Peak" in Bundoran Ireland with a few of my close friends. I really like to surf the steep beach break at Masonborough Island in North Carolina, and I often surf at Folly Beach South Carolina, and Wrightsville Beach North Carolina. I also love the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Favourite paddling sites...
Boatertalk surf zone, riotkayaks.com, paddlesurfersunited.com , effort.tv

Did you knew this site - www.kayaksurf.net - what do you think about it?
kayaksurf.net has an amazing amount of surf kayaking information, photos, interviews and more, it is impressive how much content has been collected there.

New projects...
Spencer Cooke, myself, and some others are making a sequel to our previous kayaking DVD "Enter the Donkey", it is going to be called "Night of the Living Donkey", and it is sure to feature surf kayaking from around the globe NightoftheLivingDonkey.com. I am currently in pre-production on a new surf kayaking film, to hopefully be out in late 2008. I am also planning on releasing a new surf kayaking publication this year called "Interference", look for more info on that soon.

Let us some suggestions to those who want to start kayak surfing....
If you want to start surf kayaking, work on your roll, you definitely need a good roll in the surf. I think whitewater kayaking can really help your surf kayaking technique, it really helps me out a lot. I always like to think of "driving the boat with my knees". Watch lots of surf kayakers surfing and take mental notes, meet them, ask questions. Go to contests, and when you get knocked out in the first round, use that opportunity to watch the competitors who beat you in the later rounds, eventually you'll start beating them! Most importantly have fun

I'd like to say hello to all the jackasses I've surfed with over the years, I've made some of my best friends in this sport.
Thank you very much Luis!

Meet you in Mundaka!
ALL THE PHOTOS RIGHT HERE:


Published in 20.09.07
Text - Luis Pedro Abreu
Photos - Felipe Aschliman; Chuck Hall; Effort.tv; Vincent Shay; Geoff Kegley e Riot Kayaks
Video - Effort.tv